Welcome to Rhythmic Robot Audio
…uniquely characterful Kontakt instruments built from the dusty hardware of the past
Hand-sampled Kontakt instruments – vintage synthesizers, keyboards and drum machines, plus unique sonic creations, all in Native Instruments Kontakt format.
We are a small enterprise sampling vintage hardware to make Kontakt instruments. Our mission is to take the synths, drum machines and keyboards of yesterday and bring them sparking and crackling back to life on our laboratory bench – before capturing their essence, bottling it in sampled Kontakt form, and sending it out for you to play with. From classic hardware of the past to unique sonic creations built from humming walls of old signal generators, if you’re looking for obscure and unusual Kontakt machines, you’ve come to the right place.
Our vintage themed Kontakt instruments are built on meticulously recorded 24-bit samples of authentic old kit, taken to the next level with custom interfaces, clever scripting and tons of added functionality. We love our dusty old boxes, and hope you will too.
“Kontakt instruments don’t get much more esoteric than this. Bursting with warmth, crackle and analogue life… uniquely evocative” – Computer Music magazine
“Rhythmic Robot are a small outfit dedicated to breathing life into the strange and the obscure… impeccably sampled” – Sound on Sound magazine
“Rhythmic Robot specialise in building software versions of hardware so vintage you can smell the dust in the code… a unique flavour from a bygone era” – Future Music magazine
What we do…
All our Kontakt instruments are…
- Based on characterful vintage hardware – old synthesisers, drum machines and keyboards; and also more left-field sound-producing apparatus like antique signal generators and laboratory equipment.
- Cool, weird, or unusual. We record early samplers for their grit and punch; we mic up crusty folk instruments for their organic warmth; we love old, characterful sound sources!
- Sampled by us, right here in the lab, straight from the original machines. We always get hold of the real kit and sample it ourselves: that way we have control of the whole sampling process, and you get the same quality of instrument each time (a quality we hope you’ll come to trust – Sound on Sound magazine calls our sampling “impeccable”).
- 24-bit, 44.1kHz, carefully optimised and balanced, stereo where appropriate.
- Hand trimmed and looped – no automation glitches! Our RSI is your gain.
- Designed from the ground up for Native Instruments Kontakt sampler, with lots of useful new features tailored to the individual instrument; custom scripts and GUIs on every instrument to make sure you get the best from your samples. Our Kontakt instruments look and behave like the real thing!
We take a lot of time and care over our instruments: they’re built for us to use too.
All our Kontakt instruments require…
- A full copy of Native Instruments Kontakt, version 4.2.3 or higher. Kontakt 5 is fully supported.
- Kontakt Player is not supported. Instruments will load, but will time out after 15 minutes. Don’t buy our stuff unless you have the full version of Kontakt!
- For more information, take a look at the FAQ page.
Find your way around…
The Laboratory – for unique, original Kontakt instruments created from a variety of obscure and peculiar musical sources. Go here for unusual music-making tools to inspire your creativity.
The Keyboard Vault – for recreations of classic vintage hardware keys, synths and acoustic instruments in Kontakt form. This is where you’ll find everything from organs to synths to string machines. If it’s real, and it has keys, chances are it’s found its way in here.
The Beat Room – for vintage analogue and digital drum machines. Here we have Kontakt versions of some drum classics, plus more unusual oddities, in both analogue and low-bit-depth digital flavours.
The NanoMod enclosure – this houses our growing collection of NanoMods, tiny inexpensive Kontakt modular synths and drum boxes. With a lot of creative control packed into a small, powerful footprint, NanoMods are a one-stop-shop for cool tones.
Mongo’s Cupboard – for everything Kontakt-based that doesn’t fit in the other categories. Downright strange stuff. Tread carefully…